From the club's web site.
Donegal Golf Club was founded in 1959 and the first golf course and clubhouse was built on the edge of Donegal Town at Tullycullion. The land for this course was granted to the club for their use by the Temple family, owners of the Magee & Co. The club remained there until 1973.
In the early 70’s some far-sighted members identified the links land of the Murvagh Penninsula as being more than suitable for a golf course.
The land was leased from the then Dept of Lands and Ireland ’s leading golf course designer at the time, Eddie Hackett was hired to design an 18-hole golf course on the Murvagh links.
The course and new clubhouse was officially opened in 1976. Since then the course has undergone some changes with major remodelling at the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 9th, 12th,13th,and 14th and the 4th is currently being redeveloped. Most of these changes were carried out under the direction of Mr Pat Ruddy.
In 1997 the original clubhouse was demolished and the current structure was officially opened in May 1998.
The club and course has in the past hosted the Irish Ladies Close Championship in 1979 and again in 2003. More recently in 2004 the Men’s Irish Close Championship was held here, won by the European Amateur Champion, Brian McElhinney