Curlewis, the much-loved course of The Bellarine, was formally established on this site and officially opened for play in 1970. The 157 acres (60 hectare) site was purchased by the East Geelong Golf Club in 1947. Development at the time was restricted due to the lack of water however a firm base of couch grass was established. Since the introduction of town water, improvements have continued over the years. Throughout its development, the course has maintained a links-type character with a minimum of trees, undulating fairways, challenging bunkers and large contoured greens. To play Curlewis is to fall in love with a truly exceptional golf course.
With a sandy base, a minimum of trees, and naturally undulating couch fairways this Vern Morcom designed links is one of the best courses on The Bellarine. Following the opening of the course in 1970, the original design was again enhanced in 1976 by a Kevin Hartley course master plan.
In 2001, significant improvements were again made following the adoption a second master plan by renowned course architect, Michael Clayton. With challenging bunkers and firm, fast greens, it is the wind that often determines the level of playing difficulty.
Mike Clayton and the team from Ogilvy, Clayton, Cocking, Mead (OCCM) were commissioned by the new owners for a five-year term, commencing in 2016. As part of this agreement OCCM conduct annual course audits and provide recommendations to the owners on improvement for the coming year.
The course measures 6,150 metres and is a challenging par-72. A challenge for players of all standards and a true test of golfing ability.
The comfortable clubhouse offers a wide array of delicious, chef-prepared, dishes in the bistro, along with a renowned a la carte dinner menu every Friday and Saturday night.