The Leongatha Golf Club was formed in 1909 and a course was constructed on a portion of the Recreation Reserve, located on the northern boundary of the Leongatha Township. The official opening of this course took place on the 18th of May 1910. This course is now known as Woorayl Golf Course.
In the mid 1950’s, the committee of Leongatha Golf Club began investigating possible sites that would be suitable for an 18 hole golf course. It was not possible to expand the club to 18 holes in its location for two reasons, (1) the cost of land, and (2) the land surrounding the course was not suited to the growing of grasses required for a course.
On 24th march 1958, 138 acres of land was purchased on the Inverloch-Koonwarra Rd, approximately 17km south of Leongatha and 12km north of Inverloch. The Leongatha Golf Club officially opened the new course on the 11th March 1961.
In addition to the golf course itself, the club has constructed the clubhouse (in three stages – completed in 1979), the managers residence (1990) and course maintenance equipment buildings. In 1982, the club purchased an additional 25 acre property close to the golf course. The purpose of this land acquisition was to construct a dam so that the club would not suffer water shortages during dry seasons. This dam has a surface area of approximately 10 acres.
Extract from golf course website.