The Club’s history dates from the period immediately after World War One. At that time, those wishing to play golf in the northern beaches area could do so only at Manly – there was no other course. In the 19th Century, the Long Reef headland was used for light farming. It was owned by the Salvation Army until 1912 when it became Crown Land administered by Warringah Shire Council. For some years it was a popular camping ground.
The golf club was started in 1921 as a 9 hole layout. Because the lower part of the headland was swamp the golf holes were confined to the upper ground. By today’s standards the course was a bit primitive. Grazing cattle constituted an early problem and wire fences were erected around the greens. The swamp was drained and filled in the late’20’s and the course was extended to a full 18 holes in 1931.
During the first 70 years, there were many very wet periods during which the lower holes (where the swamp had been) became flooded. In 1990 action was taken to correct this. Several large ponds were constructed and course drainage was directed via these, with any overflow passing out to sea on the southern side of the course. The pond water has been used as a primary source of irrigation water. The ponds have also become a habitat for aquatic wildlife and as many as 8 pelicans have been seen there recently.
Extract from the club website: