A near-neighbor of both the Tasmania Golf Club and the Hobart airport, the Royal Hobart Golf Club can trace its roots back to 1896, when the first golf club in the city area, the Newlands Golf Club, was established. The club changed its name soon after and began golfing at Sandy Bay before moving, in 1916, to a site along Hobart’s Eastern Shore in Rosny. The members moved again in 1956, this time to its current home near the Seven Mile Beach. Here a new course, designed by Victorian Vern Morcom, was built. With some modifications, this is the layout present day members still enjoy.
Like the Tasmania Golf Club, Royal Hobart has hosted many important state and national championships over the years, including the 1971 Australian Open won by Jack Nicklaus. It has also been home to many of the state’s best players. Both courses are also in close proximity to the sea, though the water views and general scenery here are far less spectacular than at Tassy.