Directly across the road from Royal Melbourne, Sandringham is one of the premier public golf courses in Victoria and a fine place for those starting out or looking for a fun round and an inexpensive green fee. The sand-splashed bunkering, couch fairways, native tea-tree and ground vegetation all remind one of its more celebrated near-neighbours.
Like all golf courses close to the Melbourne Sandbelt, Sandringham traverses a site of gentle contours.
Par for the layout is 65. At 4875 metres from the championship tees for men, the course does not play as long as the nearby private clubs, nor as long as original designer Vern Morcom intended. The redesigned Sandringham opened in 2020 and was built by local firm OCM, who added plenty of sand and recontoured greens as part of a redevelopment that also accommodated an elite level practice facility, rebuilt putting green and new clubhouse precinct. Managed by Royal Melbourne's grounds crew, Sandringham remains one of the more pleasant public access courses in Melbourne, its challenge presented through the demands of precise shot-making, punishing bunkering, small quick greens and strategic design.
Many of Melbourne's leading amateur golfers, professionals, male and female have been drawn to Sandringham in their early years by its real sandbelt golf features, its accessibility and affordability. It has always been a great environment for junior golfers.
When Royal Melbourne Golf Club moved to Black Rock it disposed of the land it had occupied in Sandringham. Sandringham City Council bought two paddocks in 1932 where RMGC had four holes and the Council established a nine-hole course to the design of Vernon Morcom. This course had a par of 35 and a length of about 2500 meters. When one played an 18 hole round, the electric tramway in Bluff Road had to be crossed four times.
The Sandringham Golf Club was formed in 1937 by Messrs. L.G. McDonald, J.C. Larkins, J.C. Goudie and some of the other regular players of the day. In 1945 the Council bought the land of the present course and built what is now the back nine again to Morcom's design. Par was 35, length was 2850 meters and play began in 1946 with entry from Tulip Street and play beginning on what is now the 16th tee. In 1951, holes 3, 4 and 5 were added to make a 12-hole layout of par 46 and about 3680 meters length. In 1956 the final six holes were added making a par 70 course of 5620 meters also to the design of Vernon Morcom. Some changes to holes 13 to 16 were made in the 1990's to produce the course we see today.
Extract from theSandringham Golf Club website: