Appleby Golf Club is situated two miles east of the town centre just off the A66. The club enjoys a golfing history dating back to 1894 when the game was played on the Minsceugh just outside the town. In 1903 the club was reformed on its present location on the Brackenber Moor. The Open Champion Willie Fernie of Troon laid out the course using the natural contours of the moor with short heathery rough and bracken to provide a challenging and spectacular course described as "Gleneagles in the raw". His creation is undeniably testing, as the 5998-yard par 68 (SSS 70) course contains no par 5's but some long challenging par 4's.
Appleby Golf Club is renowned for offering the best, all year round, greens in Cumbria and the friendliness of the welcome to all.
From the golf club website.