Located on the outskirts of Kent’s medieval cathedral city, Canterbury GC was founded in 1927 on 160 acres of land leased from the War Office and is considered to be one of the finest examples of Harry Colt design in England.
Though first laid out as a downland course, the gradual introduction of oaks and silver birches along the fairways have altered the nature of the layout that now has more of a parkland feel, though a little gorse and broom can be found on some holes. Set on undulating terrain, the par71, 6,272-yard layout (off the whites) provides a challenging round of golf with its mix of open par 5s, tight par 4s and challenging par 3s.
The closure of the adjoining Howe Barracks in February 2015 enabled the golf club to buy the land on which the course stands from the Ministry of Defence. Since then, heavy investment has seen the course developed and improved, a long-term project that is still ongoing.
From the golf club website.