Located in south Dorset, just a few miles north of the county's beautiful coastline and the bustling towns of Bournemouth and Poole, Ferndown Golf Club was founded in 1912 and opened for play a year later.
Cutting across a sandy outcrop of heathland, the course's fairways were skilfully navigated through handsome pine woods and heath. Much of the 'rough' was left as heather, making it highly attractive to look at but highly challenging to recover from.
The renowned 18-hole ‘Old Course' was designed by Harold Hilton, the Open Champion in 1892 and 1897 and the only British amateur golfer to win the British and US Amateur titles in the same year (1911). Harold lay the foundations for what was to become one of the top 100 golf Clubs in the UK.
In 1969 the ‘Alliss Course’ (Previously referred to as the Presidents Course until it was renamed by Peter Alliss in 2015 in memory of the Alliss Family's long connection with the club) was constructed and launched to complement the 'Old Course' and consists of 9-holes, although it can be played as 18-holes. This superb addition to the Club was designed by Mr J Hamilton Stutt, a founder member and past Chairman of the British Association of Golf Course Architects. He had previously worked alongside Mackenzie Ross on such well-known courses as Turnberry – Ailsa Course, and St Mellion.