Leading amateur golfer Cecil K Hutchison joined forces with James Braid in 1914 to design the King’s Course at Gleneagles. Within a decade he had added Tadmarton Heath to his portfolio.
The club was officially opened on the site of Holiwell Farm in October 1922 with an exhibition match between Cyril Tolley, twice British Amateur champion and winner of the French Open, and Roger Wethered who went on to win the British Amateur title the following year.
The annual membership was £5 with ladies admitted on equal terms.
The club prospered during the pre-war years and boasted a number of leading amateur players including John Beaumont Pease, the club president, who reached the quarter-finals of the British Amateur Championship at the age of 58. A trophy was presented in his honour and remains one of Tadmarton’s most prestigious competitions, open to leading amateurs from around the region.
Like many clubs across the country the war effort meant that fairways gave way to crops during the 1940s and the US army also used the land for tank training causing considerable damage. It was a tribute to the efforts of the greenkeeping staff, aided by German prisoners of war, that play resumed on all 18 holes in 1947.
The course is a classic heathland layout with no shortage of gorse and broom. The free-draining sandy soil ensures it is playable throughout the year and the small, testing greens have always been highly regarded. In the summer the premium is on accuracy and, when the fairways firm up, the ‘inland links’ character offers a unique challenge. Situated on a hill the wind is always a factor at Tadmarton, notably in the winter when the long par fours are a stiff test for even the longest hitters.
Don't just take our word for it, Dan Murphy from National Club Golfer describes Taddy as "never less than interesting, the turf here is fantastic to walk on and strike your iron shots off". Dan reviewed Taddy as part of National Club Golfer's search for the Top 100 courses in England in which we were named in at 91st. For the full review, click here.
Practice facilities include a four bay covered driving range and ample irrigated grass teeing areas. Range balls are dispensed. The short game area has a chipping green with practice bunker and a separate pitching green is playable up to 90 yards.
From the golf club website