Dunaverty Golf Club is situated by the village of Southend in a glorious setting on the south coast of the Kintyre peninsula.
The course is a fine Par 66 18 hole natural links extending to 4,799 yards. High and low handicappers alike will enjoy its testing layout, the springy turf on the undulating fairways and arguably one of the finest set of greens in Scotland.
Spectacular views over the landscape, Sanda Island to the south, Ailsa Craig and Ayrshire to the east and Northern Ireland to the south west, will add to the golfer’s enjoyment of this challenging and exceptionally well maintained course.
Founded in 1889, Dunaverty Golf Club was set up by a small group of founder members drawn from the surrounding farms and community of Southend. The original layout was for an 18 hole course which began on the opposite side of the Burn at what is now the 15th. The Course was completely remodelled and extended before the Second World War when the first clubhouse was sited behind the Wallace Cottages part of Southend Village.
The Course is sited on ground around Dunaverty Rock, a long established site for fortification which once sheltered Robert the Bruce. It is most famous for the conflict between warring Clans in 1647 which culminated in the surrender and subsequent massacre of the 300-strong Royalist garrison by the besieging Covenanters. Dunaverty Castle was subsequently raised to the ground and precious little remains.
Despite its violent history, Dunaverty today is a beautiful and peaceful place. The Golf Course itself is that of a traditional natural links, laid out amongst the sandy seascape which links South Kintyre’s farmland to the sea and through which the Conieglen Burn flows and Dunaverty Rock towers above.
From the golf club website.