Originally laid out by Old Tom Morris and later redesigned by James Braid the Cunninghill course at Forfar is set on beautiful wooded heathland. The terrain is almost ‘links’ like with undulating fairways lined by Scots Pine and lovely views towards the Angus Glens. With very little walking between green and next tee, generous fairways and excellent greens this compact course is easily completed in 3 ½ hours and can be tackled twice in a day quite comfortably.
In 1871 James Brodie persuaded Colonel Dempster of Dunnichen to permit the playing of golf over fifty acres of ground to the east and under Brodie's impetus, Forfar Golf Club was formed with the 18 hole course laid out by Tom Morris of St Andrews.
After negotiating the whins and broom and the characteristic undulations of the "rig and furrow", the players would return to a rented room at Lochhead Farm (situated behind the current third tee) for rest and refreshment. In 1889 improved prosperity of the Club funded the building of a clubhouse and Ladies were admitted to the Club in 1895.
In 1920 the club was able to purchase the course for £700 when its membership stood at 541.
Course alterations recommended by 5 time Open Champion James Braid (pictured middle) were implemented in 1926.
Extract from the golf club website.