From the club's website:
Ladybank Golf Club was established in 1879. The architect of the original 6-hole course, Old Tom Morris, played in the Autumn Meeting that year as a ‘stranger’ and won despite his handicap of +3 strokes. In 1910 a circular 9 holes was formed with the holes varying in length from 330 to 400 yards with ‘two short sporting’ holes at the fourth and seventh. A further 9 holes were laid down in 1958 and incorporated within the existing course in 1961 to form an 18 hole course.
A new Clubhouse was built in 1971 with the existing building becoming the present-day Proshop. The year 1978 was a landmark year for Ladybank with nomination as a venue for Open Championship Final Qualifying. The course of today is still a severe examination of the professional’s course management skills. For lesser mortals this is a challenge to relish with accuracy off the tee more important than length.