The Cedar Rapids Country Club was organized in 1904 when a small group of businessmen decided they liked the game of golf and wanted a permanent place to play it.
The Indian Creek property was converted into a nine-hole golf course with clubhouse. Scottish golf course architect Tom Bendelow, designed the nine hole course with the longest hole of 400 yards. In 1914, the land company exchanged 9.36 acres of hilly terrain, lying west of fairway No. 2, for 9.62 acres of fairly level ground owned by Arthur M. Tschirgi. This area provided space for a practice course and new tennis courts.
In 1915, the golf course was lengthened to 18 holes. Donald Ross, Chicago banker and a Scottish golf architect, was sent to Cedar Rapids by Ralph Van Vechten to lay out the extended course. Ross told Amor Sargent, president of the Club at the time, that only the Mayfield course in Cleveland could match the Cedar Rapids course for beauty. He kept the original first and ninth holes, with #9 becoming the new number #18. Accuracy was the major feature of the Donald Ross design and Indian Creek became more a part of the course layout.
Extract from the Cedar Rapids CC website.