Established in 1898 as the Columbia Golf Club, the Columbia Country Club moved to its present home in Chevy Chase, Maryland, in 1909 where it has enjoyed a somewhat mixed history in terms of the golf course. Walter Travis had a hand in the early course, which was regarded highly enough to be awarded the 1921 US Open, won by Jim Barnes. Since this time, however, the golf course has altered considerably, the Travis slopes have been softened, the trees have grown and now impinge many tee shots and the layout has been stretched to combat modern technology. There was also a famous acre-of-sand through the middle of the par five 5th which has been grassed over. All this work has all been handled moderately at best, the layout greener and prettier from a parkland sense but with less architectural quality and visual interest from the golfing standpoint. The best golf here comes through the heavier slopes in the middle of the round and at the close, the 18th a fine finisher that rises toward the clubhouse and plays through a valley and into an unusual plateau green split by a ridge and humps that cut the target into four distinct areas. These humps and contours were even more pronounced in Travis’s day.