From the club website:
The first Country Club of Detroit golf course was constructed on leased property, which included what is now the Grosse Pointe Club, extending along Fisher Road west to Kercheval. This original course opened for play in June 1898 and measured 5,090 yards. In 1912, with the purchase of our current "upper property", the noted British golf architect Harry S. Colt was engaged to design and build a course comparable to those of leading clubs throughout the country. The new course, measuring 6,412 yards, was completed in time to host the 1915 US Amateur Championship. Since then we have had work done by Colt/Alison, Robert Trent Jones, Robert Trent Jones, Jr. and Tom Doak of Renissance Golf Design to help maintain and improve upon the beautiful Championship 18 hole course. The course will continue to provide a challenge and to satisfy golfers of all skill levels for years to come.