From the club website:
In 1904, the Seattle Golf Club moved to Laurelhurst (with a grand view of Mount Rainier) where a new nine-hole golf course with grass greens was constructed. Again, there were no roads to Laurelhurst at that time, so members took the Madison Street cable car to Lake Washington. From the lake a boat named "Sunny Jim" took members and caddies to a boat landing below the clubhouse.
In April 1907, a special committee reported the purchase of 155 acres four miles north of Ballard on Richmond Beach Road. And so the current location of the Seattle Golf Club was purchased.