Bobby Weed Golf Design announces that its renovation of the golf course at Long Cove Club, in Hilton Head Island, S.C., is now complete. The course was designed by Pete Dye in 1981.
This project was especially significant to Bobby Weed Golf Design.
“Long Cove was my first assignment with Pete and the genesis of Bobby Weed Golf Design,” Weed said. “After having met him at Amelia Island Plantation in the mid-seventies, Long Cove was the beginning of my career in design and construction and of my nearly forty years’ relationship with Pete.
“To be back at Long Cove was very special for Bobby Weed Golf Design and to me personally.”
Alongside contractor MacCurrach Golf, Bobby Weed Golf Design commenced construction on April 20.
The scope of the project was specific and sensitive, preparing the course for the next several decades of its life. It included:
• Restoring all bunkers and native waste areas to their original limits with new drain lines, sand and coquina shell material;
• Re-grassing greens and fairways with updated turf varieties, reflecting the original color and texture contrast between fairways and roughs;
• Replacing lake connectors and drain lines throughout the golf course;
• Reconstructing wood bulkheads, carefully recreating the irregular lines and outward rusticity that distinguished the original walls;
• Repair and overlay of cart paths;
• Select tree removal and a return to the original palette of native plant landscaping.
“For me,” Weed said, “returning to Long Cove conjured up fond memories of insane hours of construction, working alongside Pete Dye every day and fashioning a course out of the Lowcountry with a passionate team of golf junkies. And doing all of this while covered in sunscreen, no-see-ums and chiggers!”
Weed affirmed that the original construction crew of the Long Cove golf course is rightfully touted as one of the most eccentric and legendary in the modern era. Weed and Dye assembled a crew of college graduates, interns and low-handicap golfers for the project. Many Long Cove alumni later embarked on their own careers in the golf design business, including Weed, Tom Doak, PB Dye, Scott Pool and Ron Farris.
Back to News
In advance of Christmas, Aussie golfers can buy the new Planet Golf USA for just $60
New Martin Hawtree design to be built in the Foveran Links west and south of existing course.