20 Aug 2026

Media Release:

Australian golf superstar Adam Scott will return home this summer to contest the Capital.com Australian Open, with the former world number one confirmed as a starter at the world-renowned Kingston Heath Golf Club from December 3-6.

The 2013 Masters Tournament champion has a proud history with the Australian Open, having played more than 20 editions of the championship and lifting the Stonehaven Cup in 2009.

Scott joins Grand Slam winner Rory McIlroy and fellow Australian major winner Cam Smith as headline names for this year’s Capital.com Australian Open which will be a major highlight of the Australian summer sporting calendar.

Scott’s return comes after another significant milestone in his career, becoming just the second player to compete in 100 consecutive major championships at the U.S. Open earlier this year.

"I’ve always loved playing the Australian Open,” Scott said.

“It has so much incredible history and is a tournament every Australian golfer holds in such high regard. It’s a title we all want to win.

“Kingston Heath is a special place and will be an amazing challenge. It’s a course where strategy and patience are rewarded, so it’ll be really exciting to see how some of the world’s best take it on.

“The legacy of this tournament is something we’re all very proud of, and we’re looking forward to seeing it continue to grow.”

Golf Australia CEO James Sutherland said Scott’s involvement added to the excitement surrounding one of the nation’s great sporting events.

“Adam Scott’s connection with the Australian Open is incredibly special and his presence helps tell the story of this championship,” said Sutherland.

“The Australian Open has been part of Australia’s sporting landscape for more than a century, hosting legends of the game and creating moments that have become part of our sporting history.

“Kingston Heath is the ideal venue for this next chapter. It is internationally recognised as one of the world’s finest courses and will provide a spectacular stage for players and fans alike.”
 
Minister for Major Events Anthony Carbines said: “Adam is one of Australia's greatest golfers and his decision to return to Melbourne for the Australian Open is fantastic news for fans and another major boost for Victoria's blockbuster calendar of major events.

“Tournaments like the Australian Open fill our hotels, restaurants, bars and local businesses – which is why we’re thrilled that Melbourne will host four out of the next five editions, plus the Presidents Cup in 2028.”

The Capital.com Australian Open follows the BMW Australian PGA Championship in Sydney, forming a blockbuster fortnight of professional golf.

Scott is a two-time winner of the Australian PGA Championship, claiming the Joe Kirkwood Cup in 2013 and 2019. He recently made history as just the second player to compete in 100 consecutive major championships at the U.S. Open at Shinnecock Hills.

The 46-year-old was on form in last year’s Aussie majors, finishing seventh and fifth in back-to-back weeks at the BMW Australian PGA Championship and Australian Open.

He joins fellow Australian major champion Cam Smith, Canada’s two-time PGA Tour winner Corey Conners and Spanish young gun Josele Ballester as confirmed big names in the field for The Lakes.

"I’m excited to head back home and play at The Lakes,” Scott said.

“The Australian PGA has always been a very special tournament to me. I’ve been fortunate enough to win twice, yet it’s always a real challenge. 

“There are plenty of birdie chances out there as well, so overall it should be a really entertaining week for the crowd at The Lakes in November.

“There’s also a lot of interest from guys on Tour wanting to come down and compete in Australia. We’re all looking forward to it."

PGA of Australia CEO Gavin Kirkman said: “Adam Scott is one of Australia’s iconic sporting ambassadors and we’re thrilled to welcome him back to the BMW Australian PGA Championship.

“His name is synonymous with Australian golf and this event, having lifted the Kirkwood Cup before, and his continued support of Australian golf means so much to fans, players and the game as a whole.”

The BMW Australian PGA Championship will be played in Sydney for the first time in nearly 30 years as part of an agreement between the PGA of Australia and the NSW Government through Destination New South Wales.

 

Back to News
0 Comments


 

More News

Victoria partnership secures Sandbelt future for men’s Aussie Open

Golf Australia announces Peninsula Kingswood as host in 2027 and further Melb events in 2029 and 2030

Construction underway on Douglas Links project in New Zealand

Situated on Ōhau River north of Paraparaumu Beach, and featuring duneland and river/ocean outlooks

Spanish big hitter locked in for Australian Open and PGA

LIV's longest hitter, Josele Ballester, set to return to play the BMW Australian PGA and Aus Open

PGA of Australia announces landmark extension with Challenger

Landmark five-year extension for Challenger as the Title Partner of the PGA Tour of Australasia